Mary Williams Daily

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Week 4 Reflection

Week 4 blog
   The comment that stood out the most for me was “Use the technology to teach, don’t teach the technology”. This is always good to remember- I know I have spent hours  trying to figure out a technology tool, or how to download info, or sign students up or …..   We don’t have the time to teach the students how to use complicated technology tools- although granted, most, but not all, of them pick this stuff up faster than I do.  I do like the argument approach to learning- it fits in very nicely with the other things we have been discussing, especially the 21thc skill set and inquiry learning. I like the approach Sampson and Grooms took and will try to use a combination of their approach and “Whiteboarding” which I read about in Frank Noschese’  blog- “The $2 Whiteboard”. Although in an ideal class I would have all the students with tablets instead of whiteboards,  that would be able to be projected on a screen.  I think whiteboards would be a better to use than posters from an eco-friendly stand point.  Of course you could always use Glogster too- but when I have had students do Glogsters they can get caught up in the bells and whistles and the content tends to suffer, with whiteboarding  the content is paramount. I have also found a few good online sites for data- The amusement park site has physics lessons and simulations on building your own amusement park rides. In my brief exploration of this site it sounded like a good intro to kinetic and potential energy.  Another site was from the Fermi labs. They give you data from their labs to use in different lessons. This may be good for gifted students or those in A.P. classes.
   I added many of the sites mentioned in our textbook to my livebinders-a few I had heard of before, but many more sounded very interesting , and I will have to check out before I cover those concepts in class (like the virtual optic bench).  I have used several of the pHET simulations before and found the students really do like them- it helps them visualize what is going on.  Another site- which isn’t necessarily online data, but does have some good animations that can be manipulated is the  Physics 2000 site. One last  site  I will mention is the EPA datafinder site. This is an entry point into the data that the EPA collects.
 I like the whole idea of having students enter data into a global network. This spring in my environmental biology class I found a site, where the students posted simple test results from a water sample that could be shared with students around the globe. I had a problem uploading the data, but that was after we did the tests. We tested the Colorado River water and I felt the students felt more of a buy in and conscientiousness in the lab because they knew it was going to be shared with a global audience.  I’m starting to wonder if this whole idea of having an audience isn’t an intrinsic motivator for some of our students.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, Mary, your last comment about intrinsic motivator really got me thinking. I never thought of it like that. Thanks for the thinking probe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you that having an audience could possibly be an intrinsic motivator for some of our students. Entering data into a global network is a great idea that I would like to incorporate into my class next year. I just have to think I a way how to do that in an Earth science class. I basically teach geology, astronomy, meteorology and oceanography. I think it is easier to collect worthwhile data for a global network in the life and physical sciences.
    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, thank you for posting the link to the $2 Whiteboard! Students in my classes have been using whiteboards for many years in my math classes, and I now have students using them daily! I really like the idea of getting/making $2 ones that are bigger for collaborative work so I can use them in science! I have toying with the idea of investing in the paint that you put on your walls that essentially makes the wall you've painted a whiteboard!!!

    I agree that students possibly become more intrinsicly motivated by contributing to a global network of data. Our school collects data for our stream study, and then contributes to a network for the Wyoming Stream Team Study (even though we are from Montana!) They like data from many places to compare and analyze. I also use USGS site to find real time data... but am not sure if they let you post your data or not... they use remote sensing.

    ReplyDelete