Mary Williams Daily

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Tools I Have Discovered in the Last 3 Weeks

These are a few of the tools I have started using now
Livebinders-
     This I like better than Delicious for my classes because I can easily organize resources for each class into a binder-and somehow binders I can relate to. I also think, once my classes start up again, I will post the binder for that class on its wiki. If I assign a project or want to provide supplemental materials on a chapter I can also put websites in a binder and "give" it to the class.

paper.li-
     This allows me to put my twitter feeds into one place and gives me an email everyday where I can quickly go through the new info and go further  with the info if I want. I also like how an Earth Science teacher used it for current events in her class and will try to do something like this in my classes too.

Edmodo
   I have heard great things about this and will try it this school year. What appeals to me about it, is it seems like an education facebook, twitter, type tool. I like this. It separates the private lives of students and my private life from my students but seems to have the connectivity ( through phones etc) that will make it very useful. I know lots of educators are going the facebook route- but I teach high school, and there are some things I just don't want to be aware of in my high school students lives. I am old-fashioned that way- what I want to know about them, I can ask or they can tell me, in person. However, I have found they do like to "connect" and so this tool seems like a good solution.

I have used a fair amount of the other tools- and the ones I like, and students seem to enjoy using are:
Animoto, Toondoo, GoAnimate, Wallwisher, pbworks, blabberize, Voki, Sliderocket, Prezi, Google Reader
   

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure how I would use wallwisher, so I left it alone. I'd love to know more about what you do with it and the benefit to both teachers and students? Thanks for being willing to jump in to the technological deep end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have used wall wisher to get students to think about what we are discussing in class and to give their opinion. When I taught a field biology course- each day the students had to post what they found most interesting about the previous days activities. They really enjoyed reading each others comments first thing the next day- I used it as a review for the previous days work, and occasionally caught a misconception and was able to correct it. In some of my other classes, I would have them post what something meant in their own words, have them respond to a question, or give their opinion. The posts are short,and so appeal to the students but you are able to add a link if you want (and I have had students do this). I like to use it to make sure students are processing information I give them.

    ReplyDelete