Mary Williams Daily

Thursday, June 23, 2011

PLN's and Web 2.0 Resources

  Several people have commented about info overload, and this is something I do have trouble with. I'm a sucker for new software, websites etc. Thanks goodness they all aren't free- this is what reigns me in, when they cost money! I also ask the question- will this help my students learn, or want to learn. Some of these tools are very valuable- Wallwisher,  students like when I do a Prezi, and some of them use it for their own work. I like google docs for the forms I can create. I also use Blabberize, Go animate and Toondoo in a variety of ways- mostly I use them to present info in an interesting way- and all of these can be embedded on a wiki- which means students can look them over at their leisure, or before a test.  One thing that adds to my info overload is this PLN stuff- there is a lot of good stuff out there. One thing leads to another. Somehow I got on a blog that talked about using Angry Birds in physics class, and I found sites for clips from the Simpson's dealing with science concepts, and "true or fake?" video clips. So far I have not really tweeted much myself-I'm  too busy soaking stuff in. I have figured out that if you follow sites- like Edutopia and NSTA and edtecher, you get more content and less chitchat. I need to check out Edmodo as a communication tool for students. Does anyone know if they get Edmodo messages on their phones? The other cool site I discovered from a tweet from Eric is Science 360!

1 comment:

  1. Right there with you on information overload! The larger your PLN gets, the more information passes by without you noticing. It gets to a point where it actually is too much, but I think that's okay (unless you try to take it all in!). I've started to come to see Twitter as a kind of stream (like an actual moving-water stream, that gets wider and faster as you follow more people). It's rushing by, and there are some good fish in there, most of which I'm not going to catch. But when I DO need a fish, it's a good place to go. The metaphor falls apart when you start to think about getting good information from the stream and then sharing it again with your PLN ("catch and release" might be a bit of a stretch)! But if I try to stay connected and read everything, I'll be buried...

    Scott

    ReplyDelete